Children’s Protective Services is a division of the Wood County Department of Job and Family Services. The mission of Children’s Services is to promote the protection and safety of children, and the well-being of the family. The services incorporated in the unit were first created by the Ohio General Assembly in 1946, and continue as primary mandated services to children today. This program is driven by the Ohio Revised Code and Ohio Administrative Rules.
The services provided by the Children’s Services staff include:
- Social work counseling for families
- referrals to other services within our agency
- Assistance with referrals for community services
- Assessment of abuse/neglect referrals
- In-home Protective Supervision for abused, neglected, or at-risk children
- Placement of children in out-of-home care
- Foster family training, assessment and supervision
- Adoption services for children and families
- Birth parent counseling/pregnancy planning
- Abuse/Neglect prevention programs
Children’s Protective Services staff are available 24 hours a day/7 days a week to deal with emergencies.
Each year, we work with approximately 2,100 children as well as their parents, caregivers, school personnel, therapists, treatment specialists, and representatives from health, legal, law enforcement, court, and community services.
The Children’s Services Unit also works closely with the other agencies involved to ensure coordinated services for the families we serve.
SANDRA J. CARSEY, LSW
Children’s Services Administrator
PLEASE NOTE – DO NOT FILE ABUSE OR NEGLECT COMPLAINTS VIA EMAIL
CHILDREN’S SERVICES HOTLINE: 419-354-9669 or 866-860-4136
Shelby Smith, ICPC
Foster Care/Adoption/APS Specialized Unit Supervisor
Family Support Unit Supervisor
Brandy Laux, MSW, LSW
Family Assessment Unit Supervisor