Food Assistance



April 7, 2020
Bret Crow, Bret.Crow@jfs.ohio.gov or Angela Terez, Angela.Terez@jfs.ohio.gov

(614) 307-9562

Ohioans Receiving Food Assistance to Receive Additional Support in April

COLUMBUS, OHIO – Ohioans enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) will soon receive additional support to help them during the pandemic, the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS) announced today. Those who did not receive the maximum monthly allotment for their household size in March will be issued an additional payment beginning this week. In addition, Ohio requested and obtained federal approval to run a Disaster Household Distribution Program, which will allow the state to waive administrative verifications normally required at food banks, to streamline the process and limit person-to-person contact.

“We are thrilled to be able to offer this additional assistance and make it easier for Ohioans to get the help they need,” said ODJFS Director Kimberly Hall. “We know many families are struggling, and we hope these measures will help them stretch their monthly food budgets as we weather this storm.”

The federal Families First Coronavirus Response Act gives states the option to provide SNAP households with the maximum allotment, based on their household size. Households not currently receiving the maximum allotment will receive additional benefits in April to bring their household’s payment up to the maximum. Households already receiving the maximum benefit will not receive additional benefits. All new applications authorized in April also will receive the maximum allotment for their household size.

The Disaster Household Distribution Program will be operated through the state’s network of 13 food banks and more than 2,800 distribution sites. The program will provide prepackaged boxes of food for families, in some cases through drive-by pickup. The boxes may include canned meats, vegetables, fruits, soups, and tomato sauce; dried and canned beans; rice and pasta; nuts; cereal; juice; shelf-stable milk; fresh apples, oranges, and potatoes; and eggs. Frozen meats and perishables also may be included, depending on the availability of appropriate storage facilities.

Individuals may qualify for SNAP if their household’s gross monthly income is at or under 130 percent of the federal poverty guidelines. To apply, visit benefits.ohio.gov. Benefits can be used to buy most food products, with the exception of alcoholic beverages, vitamins and/or medicines, and hot food made to be eaten immediately, including prepared food from grocery stores and restaurants.


The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services manages vital programs that strengthen Ohio families. These include job training and employment services, unemployment insurance, cash and food assistance, child care, child and adult protective services, adoption, and child support services.


The Food Assistance Program (formerly the Food Stamp Program and nationally known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP) helps eligible needy Ohioans pay for food. In Ohio, recipients use an electronic benefits transfer card, the Ohio Direction Card, to buy most food or food products, with the exception of alcohol, tobacco, and hot food. Ohioans may qualify for benefits if their gross monthly household income is at or below the designated percent of the federal poverty guidelines. If you are elderly and disabled, you may have more income and still qualify. Some individuals may not qualify for food assistance based on citizenship, work rules, or other factors.

To apply, go to www.benefits.ohio.gov and fill out a Request for Cash, Food and Medical Assistance form and submit it to our agency. Once you have returned the completed form, you will be scheduled to call our toll free call center at 1-844-640-6446 to speak to one of our caseworkers, who will determine your eligibility.

For assistance with the EBT card, please visit: https://www.ebt.acs-inc.com/ebtcard/ohebt/ebt_lost.jsp.

Food Assistance issuance will be scheduled in the following manner:

  • If you have a new case
  • If your Food Assistance case is closed at least one day
 Last Digit  of Case Number Issuance Day of the Month
0 2nd
1 4th
2 6th
3 8th
4 10th
5 12th
6 14th
7 16th
8 18th
9 20th

Non-Discrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, family/parental status, income derived from a public assistance program, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity, in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA (not all bases apply to all programs). Remedies and complaint filing deadlines vary by program or incident.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the responsible Agency or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program discrimination complaint, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027, found online at How to File a Program Discrimination Complaint and at any USDA office or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email: program.intake@usda.gov.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender.


CALL CENTER HOURS: M-F 8:00 am – 4:00 pm CALL CENTER PHONE: 844-640-OHIO (6446) | FAX: 419-353-6091