Child Care FAQs

For what purpose can I use publicly funded child care?

The program helps parent(s) keep employment or earn a degree or certificate.

I only work part time. Can I qualify for subsidized child care?


How much can I earn to be eligible?
Eligibility is based on income and family size. Contact your JFS office for current income guidelines.
Can I use publicly funded child care to pay for preschool and/or private school education?

Child care costs may only be paid at child care provider who are state licensed and have a current provider agreement with the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.   Child care does not pay for private school costs.  Some child care provider do offer a preschool curriculum.

Can I use publicly funded child care while I search for a job on my own?

You must have a qualifying activity such as employment or school attendance for child care to be approved on an ongoing basis.  You may apply for child care assistance while searching for employment.  Child care may be approved back to the date of application if you do obtain a qualifying activity within 30 days and provide all required documentation.  Contact your JFS office to discuss your specific situation.

Will you refer me to a child care site?

The parent must select a child care provider.  You may search for child care providers at  You may use a provider a county other than your residence county.

Can I choose anyone to provide child care?

Your child care provider must be licensed through the state and have a current provider agreement with the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.

When can I start looking for a child care provider?

As soon as possible.  You must select a child care provider within 30 days of the date of your applied for child care to be approved.  Once you have made your selection, you must indicate this on your application or must notify the agency at once. Payment will not begin until after your eligibility has been determined.

How do I choose a child care provider?

No matter which option you choose (center, Type A or Type B), you need to ask questions. Ask to be shown around the child care area and observe the interactions between the children and the care providers. You may go to the Ohio Child Care Resource & Referral guide at for more information and resources on selecting a provider.  Inspections of providers may also be viewed at

If at any time you feel there is a concern with child safety in a licensed child care center, notify the Ohio Department of Job and Family Service Day Care Licensing staff at 1-877-302-2347. If your concern is with a Type A or Type B home, call our agency at 419-373-6972.

How long will it take to determine if I am eligible for publicly funded child care?

It can take up to 30 days from the date of application to determine eligibility. You will receive a written notice through the mail.